The LGBTI Political Leaders of the Americas Conference is being heldvirtually on October 21, 22 and 23, 2021.
The 2021 LGBTI Political Leaders of the Americas Conference is the largest event that brings together openly LGBTI (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex) leaders, public servants and allies. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 5th LGBTI Political Leadership Meeting will take place virtually from October 21 to 23, 2021.Participants from all over the continent will be able to access the fifth edition of our conference to share ideas, exchange best practices and lay the foundations to advance towards equality in their countries of origin, through citizen participation and as public servants.In 2019, more than 480 LGBTI leaders from the Americas attended the conference in Bogota, Colombia, including 43 elected officials from more than 40 countries. Notable speakers include: Erica Hilton, State Representative, Brazil; Julian Bedoya, Mayor of the City of Toro, Colombia; Fernando Us, Human Rights Defender, Guatemala; Tamra Adrián, National Assemblyman, Venezuela and Leslie Herod, State Representative from Colorado, United States
The goal of the conference is to provide a space for dialogue, capacity building and exchange of experiences for openly LGBTI leaders, public servants and allies in the field of civic engagement and political participation, as a tool to advance towards equality. During 2020, LGBTI people were particularly impacted by the COVID 19 pandemic, that is why this year it seemed especially necessary to meet again for this convening. Travel restrictions will not allow us to meet in person, but we have prepared a virtual space to connect LGBTI leaders across the continent.
The specific goals are:
- Identifying progress and best practices in the area of civic and political participation of LGBTI people.
- Highlighting the role of LGBTI leaders building a more inclusive and egalitarian society for all.
- Generating ideas to promote the dialogue with state institutions.
- Strengthening the work with allies in institutions, civil society and the business community.
The Conference will focus on relevant stakeholders from all of the Americas, with a particular focus on the Andean Region, Central American and the Caribbean.
Corporación Caribe Afirmativo (Colombia) and the LGBTQ Victory Institute (U.S.), in collaboration with Diversidad Dominicana (Dominican Republic), PROMSEX (Peru), Yaaj (México) and SOMOS CDC (Honduras).
Location and Date
Virtual, from October 21st – 23rd, 2021
The event will be attended by:
- Openly LGBTI elected and appointed officials from across the region.
- LGBTI civil society leaders.
- Allied elected and appointed officials.
- Corporations supporting diversity and inclusion efforts.